Easy Grilled Portobello Mushrooms are stuffed with bacon and cheese for the perfect Summer meal!
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Grilled mushrooms, specifically portobello mushrooms are a beloved Summer dish in our family. Portobello mushrooms are available in a variety of sizes which makes them great for complete meals, as well as appetizers. They are known for a meaty, rich flavor that happens to be incredible when grilled!
This mushroom recipe is naturally low carb, making it keto-friendly and gluten free. Fresh mushrooms are stuffed with a bacon, cheddar and green onion mixture and grilled until perfectly tender. This is the perfect cook out or potluck recipe!
How to Grill Portobello Mushrooms
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar, cooked bacon and green onions in a small bowl, set aside.
- Wash mushrooms and remove the stems. I like to use a metal 1/2 teaspoon to hollow out a little more of the inside of the mushroom but that is optional.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the cream cheese mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat (375 degrees F) using a grill pan or grate add the mushrooms to the hot grill, close and cook for 10 minutes. After ten minutes check the mushrooms and cook in additional 2 minute increments until they are tender and the cheese has melted.
How long to Grill Portobello Mushrooms
Cooking times will vary based on the size of the mushrooms. For small mushrooms pictured here the mushrooms will be cooked through in 10-12 minutes. Just remember to check the mushrooms in 2 minute increments until they are fork tender and the cheese has melted.
How to clean mushrooms?
Mushrooms can be a bit tricky to clean because they are delicate, so scrubbing them isn’t an option. Here are my best tips for quickly cleaning a batch of mushrooms with minimal effort.
- Place the mushrooms in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Using your hands gently rub the mushrooms. You will be shocked at how much dirt and grit easy comes off the mushrooms! Don’t let the mushrooms sit too long to avoid compromising the texture, this whole process should take about 5 minutes.
- Drain off the dirty water and wipe any remaining dirt with a clean, damp paper towel.
Best Grill Pans for Vegetables
You can place the mushrooms directly on the grill grates, but for much easier prep and transport I highly recommend using a grill safe pan.
- You want to look for a pan that has holes in the bottom to provide the perfect texture. This also allows for even cooking, moisture to escape and the mushrooms to get a nice sear.
- A flexible pan like this is great, just be careful when moving it. Or a more sturdy pan with handles works too.
- If you have a smaller grill this is a great option, just remember you might have to cook in batches.
Can I use an oven?
Yes, this easy mushroom recipe can be made in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 18-20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese has melted.
Can I use an air fryer?
Yes, this recipe can be made in an air fryer. Assemble the mushrooms and preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat in your air fryer to 375 and cook for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mushroom is tender.