Grilled Zucchini Mozzarella Wraps are the ultimate keto summer side dish! Each wrap contains less than 1 net carb and is perfect dipped in low carb marinara!
I’m always looking for easy, no-fuss sides that can be grilled. Nobody wants to be dashing inside to stir something on the stove while the main entrée is sizzling away on the grill outside! These Zucchini Mozzarella Wraps are the perfect solution! I paired these with these Instant Pot Artichokes for a veggie filled dinner!
These simple bites only require five ingredients (and that’s if you count seasoning), so it’s easy and cost-effective to add to any meal! If you’ve got a little helper in the kitchen, they love to “paint” the zucchini wraps with the oil and seasoning, too!
Possibly my favorite thing about this recipe is that it’s so customizable. The seasonings and dip offerings can be altered to fit whatever meal you’re serving alongside them! We loved dipping them in marinara sauce when we had Mediterranean Shrimp Skewers, then we dipped them in pesto sauce when I served it as a vegetarian meal. We tried a balsamic vinegar reduction drizzle when we had them with this Chicken Caprese Salad, so I’m thinking we’ll try it in Tzatziki next!
If you are a meal prepper, these babies are perfect for you! Simply secure the zucchini around the fresh mozzarella, then freeze for at least 20 minutes. This allows the mozzarella to firm up while giving you time to hang out with your guests or make another dish! For more easy recipe ideas, check out The Best Five Ingredient Recipes!
Ingredients for Zucchini Mozzarella Wraps
This is one of the easiest recipes ever! You can truly customize this based on your personal preferences to make it a summer dish with all of your favorite things! As written, you only need toothpicks and these basic ingredients:
- Zucchini: sliced into very thin strips. I use this slicer and cut it on the number 2 setting.
- Mozzarella: fresh, thick sliced mozzarella
- Olive oil, salt and pepper: you can also add other herbs or brush with balsamic vinegar if you wish.
How do you make Grilled Zucchini with Mozzarella?
Begin by slicing the zucchini into very thin strips. I achieved this by using this handheld mandolin slicer on the second setting. Place the zucchini strips on a clean dish towel, covering them, and firmly press down to help remove any moisture.
Place two zucchini strips in an X formation with a thick slice of fresh mozzarella. Fold the zucchini strips over the cheese and secure with a toothpick. Place the wraps in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
When ready to cook, preheat a grill to high heat (400 degrees F). Brush the zucchini wraps with olive oil and season each side liberally with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with warm marinara, pesto, or your favorite balsamic reduction.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Grilled Zucchini
- The key to this recipe is correctly slicing the zucchini. The zucchini needs to be thin, so it cooks quickly and long so it fully wraps around the cheese. Skip the short zucchini and opt for longer, larger zucchini for this recipe.
- Make sure you remove as much moisture as possible from the zucchini. Zucchini naturally has a lot of water, and so does fresh mozzarella. Using a dish towel to help you press out as much as possible, and allowing the zucchini to rest a few minutes will make this much easier.
- Don’t skip freezing! You need to freeze these before grilling to prevent the cheese from oozing all over the grill.
- Season really well. Don’t skip the olive oil, salt and pepper, this is the only seasoning this recipe uses, so don’t skimp!